Isn’t it a pain to sharpen your knife every time it gets dull? You need to find the correct sharpening angle, wait for hours, and have the right equipment. Afterward, the edges won’t stay sharp after a few days.
Why not use a self-sharpening knife set, which includes knives with built-in sharpeners?
Now you can automatically hone the blade as you insert and remove it from the block or sheath.
If you want to reduce frequent sharpening and maintain the sharpness and edge retention of the blade, go for the best self-sharpening knife set. We have come up with a few options, and all will work well. Here they are:
What Are The Best Self Sharpening Knife Sets
We tested them all and classified them on their features, performance, durability, and user feedback. Here are 7 of the best self-sharpening knife sets available in the market.
- Best Overall: Ninja K32017 Foodi Neverdull Premium Knife System
- Best For Knife Efficiency: Henckels Statement 14-Piece
- Best For Professional Chefs: Calphalon Contemporary Self-Sharpening 20-Piece
- Best For Premium Build: Zwilling Pro Le Blanc 7-Pc
- Best For Ergonomic Knives: Nanfang Brothers Damascus Kitchen Knife Set
- Best Value For Money: Slege Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives With Sharpener
- Best For Non-Stick Knives: Calphalon 13-Piece Non-stick Knives
Best Self-Sharpening Knife Set: Comparison chart
|Santoku Knife||Best For||Blade material||Knives Included||Handle material||Price|
|Ninja K32017 Foodi Neverdull Premium Knife System||All Kitchen Tasks||German Stainless Steel||8″ Chef Knife 8″ Bread Knife7″ Santoku Knife8″ Slicing Knife6″ Boning Knife, 5″ Utility Knife3.5″ Paring Knife 4.5″ Steak Knives||Stainless Steel And Plastic||Check Price|
|Henckels Statement 14-Piece||Super Fast Slicing And Dicing||Stainless Steel, Ceramic||3-In Paring Knife5-In Serrated Utility Knife5-In Prep Knife8-In Bread Knife7-In Santoku Knife8-In Chef’s Knife6 – 4.5-In Steak KnivesShears||Ash Wood, Stainless Steel||Check Price|
|Calphalon Contemporary Self-Sharpening 20-Piece||Pros With A Busy Schedule||Stainless Steel||4.5-Inch Paring Knife5-Inch Boning And Santoku Knife5.5-Inch Tomatoor Bagel Knife6-Inch Fork, Utility Knife7-Inch Santoku8-Inch Slicer, Chef’s Knife, Bread8 Steak Knives||Ceramic||Check Price|
|Zwilling Pro Le Blanc 7-Pc||Years Of Usage||Alloy Steel||4-Inch Paring Knife8-Inch Chef’s Knife7-Inch Chef’s Knife7-Inch SantokuBread KnifeUtility Knife Paring KnifeA Set Of Shears||White Polymer||Check Price|
|Nanfang Brothers Damascus Kitchen Knife Set||Ergonomics And User-Friendliness||Vg10 Damascus||8”Chef Knife8”Slicing Knife8”Bread Knife7” Santoku Knife5.5”Utility Knife3.5”Paring KnifeKitchen Shears||Natural Wood||Check Price|
|Slege Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives With Sharpener||Cheap, Yet Affordable||X50cr15 Stainless Steel||Chef Knife (8″)Slicing Knife (8″)Santoku (7″)Bread Knife (8″)Utility Knife (5″)Paring Knife (3.5″)Six Steak Knives||Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene||Check Price|
|Calphalon 13-Piece Non-Stick Knives||Keeps Cutting Board Clean||Steel||8″ Chef’s Knife And Bread Knife7″ Slicer Knife And Santoku Knife3.5″ Paring KnifeSix Steak KnivesKitchen Shears||Ceramic||Check Price|
7 Best Self-Sharpening Knife Set In 2023
A self-sharpening knife set can be a convenient and practical solution for your cutting needs. It saves time and effort, which you can use to prepare better food.
1. Best Overall: Ninja K32017 Foodi Neverdull Premium Knife System
- Blade Material: German Stainless Steel
- Number of Knives: 17
- Sharpener: Built-in NeverDull Technology
- Number of steak knives included: 8
- Blade lengths: 8″ Chef knife, 8″ Bread knife, 7″ Santoku knife, 8″ Slicing knife, 6″ Boning knife, 5″ Utility knife, 3.5″ Paring knife, 4.5″ Steak knives
- Block material: Wood with stainless steel accents
- Grip design: Ergonomic and chef-approved, with a full-tang construction for weight-in-hand
- Built-in sharpener lifespan: Over ten years
- Compatibility: Dishwasher safe
- Comes with every type of regular knives
- Requires less effort and time to sharpen
- High-quality German steel blades
- Comfortable and ergonomic handles
- Stylish and fits all kitchen environment
- The block is a bit light for some.
The Ninja K32017 Knife is the best self-sharpening knife set on our list. All the knives here are HQ German steel built, ergonomic, and with a self-sharpening feature, so you will have extra sharp edges every time.
Here are some features of the knife set:
Foolproof stone sharpening wheel
For perfect sharpness, simply swipe the dynamic stone sharpening wheel. The sharpener will get the angle right for you. Plus, you will have a superior edge in mere seconds.
All Essential Knives in one
You will never need to buy another knife for your regular cooking tasks. You will have 17-pieces of premium knives, including an 8-inch Chef, slicing, and bread knife, a 7-inch Santoku knife, a 6-inch Boning knife, a 5-inch Utility knife, and eight 3.5-inch Paring knife Steak knives.
Every time you use them, just give them a sharpening, and you will have super-sharp knives forever.
Durable and long-lasting knives
Due to the rust-resistant german build blade, the knives can take down almost anything you throw at it. Turns out, you can use these knives worry-free for more than a decade.
Easy storage knife block
As the knives come in a set, you will find a stylish block design with a stainless steel accent. So, the knife block will fit any kitchen design regardless of whether you put it on the kitchen shelf, counter top or somewhere else.
Comfortable and chef-approved grip design
This is a winner right here. All the knives have an ergonomic design for easy hand gripping. Even after hours of holding them, your hands can go for round two. No more arm fatigue or discomfort.
2. Best For Knife Efficiency: Henckels Statement 14-Piece
- Item Weight: 10.7 pounds
- Blade Material: Stainless Steel
- Handle Material: Ash Wood, Stainless Steel
- Number of Pieces: 14
- Is Dishwasher Safe: Yes
- Construction Type: Forged
- Blade Edge: Plain
- Blade Construction: Single-piece, precision-stamped
- Blade Finish: Satin
- Blade Sharpness: Finely honed for long-lasting sharpness
- Handle Design: Traditional triple-rivet with stainless steel endcap
- Tang Design: Full
- Color: Stainless Steel
- Self-sharpening for effortless cuts
- Durable high carbon stainless steel
- Precision cutting for better accuracy
- Lightweight for easy handling
- Balanced for maximum maneuverability
- A bit expensive when compared to other brands
Trying to find a self-sharpening knife set that can do more than just regular slices? The J.A. Henckel knife set, with its super sharp edges, can cut through almost anything. On top of that, the wooden block and sharpener slows down wearing out of the knife edges.
Let’s look at some features this knife set offers:
Razor sharp and stays sharp
Keep your knives sharp without worrying about the sharpness diminishing. Other than being razor sharp, the edges of the knives stay sharp every time you remove or insert them from the block.
Ergonomic and lightweight knives
Having fine-honed edges, these knives can slice through fish, meat, and veggies with precision. Due to the lightweight, complete tang design, each knife in the set is easy to control while making any masterpiece.
Minimal user discomfort and fits anywhere
The traditional triple-rivet handle with stainless steel endcap makes up for the best balance, making the knife more comfortable and fatigue free. The best part is you can leave the knife set anywhere in the kitchen, and it will look picture-perfect.
3. Best For Professional Chefs: Calphalon Contemporary Self-Sharpening 20-Piece
- Sharpener material: Ceramic sharpeners
- Blade Material: Stainless Steel
- Blade Edge: Plain
- Handle Material: Ceramic
- Construction Type: Forged
- Number of Pieces: 20
- Dishwasher Safe: No
- Unique feature: Bolster and Tang
- Balance and sharpness: Great
- Versatile for various cutting tasks
- Comfortable grip for extended use
- Durable and long-lasting blade
- Easy to sharpen and maintain
- Lightweight, well-balanced, and easy to handle
- Doesn’t offer Damascus steel blades
Do you have a big kitchen to handle? Busy chefs need their knives razor-sharp so that every slice is super smooth. The Calphalon 20-piece self-sharpening knife has all of that and isn’t too hard on the budget. Here are some features of the knife worth mentioning:
Stay Sharp Every Time: Perfect for Busy Chefs
The Calphalon Contemporary Knife Set is the perfect solution for busy chefs who need reliable and sharp knives at all times. It has built-in ceramic sharpeners, and all the blades are made of high-carbon stainless steel. So, long-lasting, durable knives for years to come.
Professional Results Every Cut
Doesn’t matter what type of slicing and dicing you do; these knives can handle any kitchen task with ease. Just give the blades an initial rub, and start chopping, slicing, dicing, and even mincing to precision cuts.
Save Time and Money (No Need for Sharpening Services)
Thanks to its self-sharpening technology, you can finally sharpen these knives on the go. The set has all the essential blades for the kitchen, so you won’t have to buy any additional knives.
Reduces the need for regular sharpening
The built-in knife block keeps the knives organized and sharp at the same time. It adds elegance to your kitchen and it’s almost anywhere you put it.
4. Best For Premium Build: Zwilling Pro Le Blanc 7-Pc
- Blade Material: Alloy Steel
- Blade Edge: Plain
- Handle Material: Ergonomic white polymer, triple-rivet handle
- Tang: Full tang
- Blade Hardness: Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade
- Bolster: Curved bolster
- Dishwasher Safe: No (handwashing recommended)
- Number of Pieces: 7
- Product Dimensions: 16.75 x 5.5 x 9.75 inches
- Item Weight: 10 pounds
- Effortlessly sharp blades are always ready
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable grip
- Highly durable and long-lasting craftsmanship
- Versatile for various kitchen tasks
- Doesn’t need any additional care
- A bit expensive for some
Everyone wants their blades to last for a long time. Forged from high-carbon NO-STAIN stainless steel, the knives here are incredibly resilient to rust and corrosion. The set includes a unique curved bolster, which boosts precision, safety, and comfort while cutting.
Here are some features of the knife worth mentioning:
Masterful Craftsmanship: Forged from High-Carbon Stainless Steel
For the high-carbon german stainless steel built, these knives can handle years of roughhousing easily. The full-tang build, ergonomic white polymer handle, and triple-rivet design ensure a secure grip while going through big cuts.
Ice-Hardened FRIODUR Blades and Unique Curved Bolster
The blades of the Zwilling Pro Le have precision and laser-controlled hones to ensure an ideal cutting angle. Bones, wood, treads, etc., nothing will affect these edges so easily.
Then again, the unique curved bolster supports a professional pinch grip, so your hands won’t be so tired after usage.
Effortless Maintenance: Self-Sharpening Technology and Dishwasher Safe
No more finding the proper pressure and sharpening angle for the knife edges. The self-sharpening slot will give you picture-perfect sharpness every time. You can also clean the knives using hand wash or regular detergent.
5. Best For Ergonomic Knives: Nanfang Brothers Damascus Kitchen Knife Set
- Blade material: VG10 Damascus
- Handle material: ABS
- The set includes: 9 pieces
- Blade hardness: HRC 60-62
- Self-sharpening: Yes
- Block material: Natural wood
- Scissors included: Yes
- Sharpener included: Yes
- Grip type: Ergonomic
- Warranty: Lifetime
- No extra time was wasted sharpening it
- Comfortable grip with perfect slicing and dicing control
- Looks fantastic in any environment
- Highly resilient and corrosion resistive
- Not dishwasher safe
Ever wanted to give your hands the best knife they can hold? Well, here’s a self-sharpening knife for you that can do just that. The knives here have natural wooden handles with VG10 steel core and 67 layers of superior Damascus steel blades. So, other than being highly ergonomic, the knife is highly durable.
Here are some features of the knife:
No more tedious sharpening routines
Give the knives a pull from the slot, and it will come out like a shark’s tooth. A VG10 steel core and 67 layers of pure Damascus gives these knives the ability to take down turkey, beef, chicken, and everything else.
Comfortable And Ergonomic Damascus Knives
Wrist/forearm fatigue or arm freezing with pain? Don’t worry. The ergonomic triple-riveted handle provides a perfect balance of comfort to control, ensuring your grip stays solid without any discomfort.
Precision cuts For Perfect presentation.
The precision blades of the set provide the perfect cut every time, starting from meats to vegetables and everything in between. The HRC 60-62 hardness steel proves exceptional sharpness and edge retention, making precision cuts buttery smooth.
6. Best Value For Money: Slege Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives With Sharpener
- Number of knives: 16
- Types of knives: Chef knife (8″), slicing knife (8″), Santoku (7″), bread knife (8″), utility knife (5″), paring knife (3.5″), and six steak knives
- Blade angle: 15 degrees
- Blade spine width: 3mm
- Blade material: X50CR15 stainless steel
- Handle design: Special geometry double bolster with curved grip
- Block material: Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
- Additional tools: Kitchen shears, sharpener, and carving fork.
- Cheap but has long-lasting edges
- The handle is well-balanced and ergonomic
- Easy to store and fits perfectly on the countertop
- Make precise cuts with little to no effort
- Highly durable blade construction
- Some may slice their fingers open, unwrapping them.
Are self-sharpening knives too pricey for your budget? Guess what? The Slege Stainless Steel knife set is here to the rescue. Here you will have up to 16 excellent and super-durable blades at half the price of the competitors. A win-win, right?
Here are some features of the knife:
Fast and easy sharpening with minimal effort
These knives come with a self-sharpening feature, which sharpens both sides at a 15° angle. Effortless and razor-sharp edges for every time you use the knife set.
Multi-purpose knives with 16-Piece Stainless Steel pieces
Crafted with pure X50CR15 stainless steel, the knives are highly durable, rust-resistant, and easy to maintain. The set includes a bread knife, chef’s knife, slicing knife, santoku knife, utility knife, and paring knife, as well as six serrated steak knives.
You will also get three essential kitchen tools (shears, sharpener, and carving fork).
Easy to Store and Maintain
The included knife block not only reduces countertop clutter but saves storage space. Always keep your kitchen organized. Additionally, the block has slots for all 16 knives in the set, as well as a slot for the honing steel.
7. Best For Non-Stick Knives: Calphalon 13-Piece Non-stick Knives
- Simple 2-stage sharpening.
- Sapphirite grinding wheels.
- Precision blade holding guide.
- Three bottom suction cups.
- Two removable receptacles.
- Non-Stick blades for easy food release
- Labeled handles for easy identification
- Self-sharpening technology for sharp blades
- Full tang knives for added balance
- Easy and quick clean-up
- The knives need regular sharpening.
The Calphalon 13-piece knives can prevent food slices from sticking, which makes these knives an excellent option for precious cuts. Food preparation and clean-up can’t get any easier than this. Starting from butchering turkey to making thick briskets, there’s a knife for all your needs.
Here are some features of the knife:
No More Food Sticking to Any Knives
Say goodbye to the frustrating experience of food sticking to your knives while cutting. The Calphalon 13-piece Non-stick Knives feature a longitudinal ridge and a non-stick coating. This prevents food from sticking, making food prep easier and saving you time.
Instant Cleaning Up
Cleaning up has never been more manageable after a hard meal. All you need is to damp cloth or rinse the knives under running water. No detergent or hand wash is necessary for the cleaning.
Fully Forged Steel, Well Balanced and Strong
All the Calphalon 13-piece Non-stick Knives have a single piece of fully forged steel, delivering added balance and strength while dicing, slicing, and chopping. The full-tang knives have a bolster for better balance and a comfortable grip.
Plus, you can quickly know which knife to use due to the labeled handle identification.
How To Pick The Best Self-Sharpening Knife Set: Buying Guide
It’s more important to pick the knives in a self-sharpening knife set than just the sharpener. Yes, the sharpener is essential, but don’t compromise on the knife quality.
Here are a few things you need to know before getting the best self-sharpening knife set:
Know your knives first.
Choose your knife first. A basic set needs to have a chef’s knife, paring knife, and serrated bread knife. On the other hand, for a more comprehensive knife set, go for a boning knife, utility knife, and santoku knife.
Quality of the knives
A better quality knife will just be better in every task you throw at it. Find knives made from high-quality stainless steel or carbon steel. They can hold an edge for longer where others can’t.
Handle the material of the knife (Ergonomics is a must)
Having a more ergonomic handle means you will have better comfort while slicing and dicing. On top of that, look for knives that are lightweight and balanced because they are easier to handle and reduce hand fatigue.
Shape and Style (Depends on your preference)
Choose a knife set design that suits your kitchen decor and personal preferences. Some sets come with modern stainless steel designs, while others come with classic wooden handles. It’s really up to you.
Self-sharpening slots (One is enough, but two is better)
More slots mean you will have an extra option to sharpen your blade. If one gets dull from the constant banging, use the other one.
Budget and Brand (Value for money is critical)
Though a higher-priced set might offer better quality and durability, there are also budget-friendly options as well. Look for a brand that has a good reputation for high-quality knives yet costs less than its competitors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Self-sharpening knife sets are totally worth it. For starters, you don't have to work too much to get a good sharpening. Also, you don't have to find the correct sharpening angle, the right sharpening tools, and so on. A total life-saver for sure.
No. However, they will give you a better sharpening experience every time you use them. The rate of wear down will depend on the type of blade, how often you use it, and the amount of pressure applied during use. Usually, it's about 8 to 10 years max.
Yes. There is such a thing as a self-sharpening knife. Well, technically, there is a sharpening tool attached to the set, and every time you remove and insert the knife in it, the knife gets a new edge.
It is not ok to sharpen a knife every day. Sharpening a knife every day won't make it last as long. If you get the sharpening angle right, a good edge will last several days of slicing and dicing. Bones and other hard ingredients will degrade the blade faster.
When it comes to choosing the best self-sharpening knife set, make sure the knives are top-notch. You need to have all the essentials first and then go for a boning knife, utility knife, santoku knife, and so on.
The Ninja K32017 knife set has turned out the best for us. It has excellent performance and durability and lasts for days.
However, the other ones aren’t half bad either, go for any one of them and you won’t be disappointed. Don’t forget to notify us if you face any issues finding your kitchen mate.